Friday, December 12, 2014

Mexico 2.0 - Week One Update



Well, we are officially at the end of week 1, and I'm happy to report that Mexico 2.0/Wellness Retreat has been even better than last time. The central line/catheter/port placement - the only procedure that concerned me because it was mighty uncomfortable last time - was much more manageable.  Where last time I needed IV painkillers and Dave to help me shower and do my hair for a few days because my arm mobility was limited, this time around, I experienced much less discomfort, no sleepless nights and was able to not only shower, but also to blow dry my hair AND set it with curls.  Overly ambitious for a day of medical treatments? Most definitely, but I was celebrating my triumph (also, have I mentioned that I have attractive Mexican doctors...I mean....ummm...a handsome hubby to impress?).

In any case, I was thrilled to have such an improved experience and the rest of the procedures have been a breeze.  On Tuesday I got my catheter and also had hyperthermia.  Wednesday was T-cell modulation therapy and the blood draw for the harvesting of my dendritic and T-cells, yesterday was systemic ozone and today was transdermal ozone (the turtle shell ozone sauna, which oddly, is my least favorite; not sure whether I'm clausterphobic or just sensitive to the heat, but I do not enjoy it) and a Vitamin C IV.  Next week I'll get my dendritic and T-cells that have been growing in the hospital's lab and also have additional rounds of ozone and Vitamin C.

With the exception of Tuesday, the treatments have been finished by midday, so we've taken advantage of the hotel amenities, namely the gym and pool.  Yes, that's right, we lounged poolside yesterday.  It. Was. Glorious.  Vitamin D therapy in December, thank you very much.  The weather has been much more cooperative than it was at home, with highs in the upper 60s or low 70s, as it was yesterday.

And the personal chef service?  Ah-mazing!  And I can confirm that this is what every wife and/or mother should be petitioning Santa for this Christmas.  We've quite enjoyed the delicious organic meals delivered to wherever we happen to be, hotel or hospital, and hope to come home with some tasty new recipes (including one for "golden milk," almond milk with tumeric and cinammon that has been decadent and yet healthy, with its anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties).  Frankly, this little luxury has been so glorious and so reasonable, we are considering asking Chef Daniel to come home and live with us. 

I don't have any more treatments until Monday, so we are going to venture to a nearby beach town known for its lobster tomorrrow.  The hospital connected us with a trusted driver who will take us the 45 minutes to get there and wait as long as we'd like to hang out before driving us back.  Once again, we have been very blessed with how accommodating everyone has been.  

Thanks again for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  For as empowering as it is to know I've been blessed with the right treatment program for me, there's still something about being treated that I've been trying not to allow get into my head.  I keep reminding myself that this is all about prevention and that I absolutely will continue to stay cancer-free. Yet, I'd be lying if I said I haven't had any moments of concern - I'm sure being in a hospital with other cancer patients will do that - and that's where the prayers come in.  My own active dialogue with the Big Man and the prayers so many loved ones are sending my way are making all the difference in pulling me back into the love and light when I have a "moment."  So thank you, and if you would, please keep sending all of that positive juju!  I do love it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment