Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog! I'm new at this, but wanted a place to share ideas, thoughts and resources for others looking to live a healthy lifestyle, or those who are already enjoying one.

So, let me start with this: While I like to consider myself a fairly healthy individual, I'm by no means a health nut, compulsive exerciser, vegan or vegetarian. I've just always loved to eat well - I love my fruits and veggies - and live a fairly active lifestyle. That doesn't mean I don't eat junk food or have to force myself to work out sometimes! I'm just as challenged to do all the good things you're supposed to do as anyone else. But I love how empowering it is when you know you're doing the right thing for your body, mind and spirit and you get to share with others who do too.

A few years ago, I learned I had food allergies to wheat and dairy, which explained my near constant state of ear, nose and throat discomfort. I had the good fortune to find some wonderful holistic doctors who gave me great advice and survival tools, and ultimately, cured my allergies. But more about that later.

Along the way, I discovered a love of cooking (you pretty much have to make your own food when you're allergic to wheat and dairy), and learned how to cook with different whole grains and substitute healthy alternatives. In the process, I came up with some decent wheat-free recipes that I always planned on sharing, so you will see a few of those here.

I also plan to share links to helpful information from other like-minded friends on how to live healthy and "green." And I can't promise not to share a few random thoughts, rants and shout outs as I go.

A few disclaimers: I am in no way qualified to give medical or nutrition advice. I am not a doctor, homeopath, nutritionist, trainer or any other form of reputable health or diet information provider. All I have to go on are my own past experiences and the wonderful expert sources I've found along the way. I hope some of them are interesting to any readers who may find their way here. And let's face it, it's probably going to be just my friends and family reading this anyway, which is completely fine with me!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Hey Kels - About the pasta, I find that when I use all whole wheat (or even a ratio of 2:1 wheat to ap), things just get too gummy. I have been meaning to try unbleached/not enriched white flour though, so that might work. You could also use rice flour I'd think. I should experiment more, I just hate when things come out badly, so I stick with what I know works - 1:1

Kelly said...

Thanks, Ash! I may give it a try this weekend with the whole wheat AP flour I recently found.

Post a Comment